Lead Mining Museum
Bespoke web design and development
Situated in Scotland’s highest village, Wanlockhead, the Museum of Lead Mining tells the story of Lochnell Mine and the people who lived and worked in the area. It’s home to the only Underground Mine Tour in Scotland.
Creatomatic were approached by the museum’s board of trustees in summer 22′ to design and develop a brand new website. A number of goals were outlined at project outset:
- Increase brand (museum) awareness
- Increase online presence with a responsive and accessible website
- Increase online sales –tickets/ online shop/donations
- Increase in general enquiries
- To provide a source of key information about the museum
- Produce Google Analytics performance tracking
Our planning team worked hard to develop a sitemap that improved the user journey. This laid the foundations for a new, sophisticated design.
Working within the confines of the existing brand, we were able to successfully modernise the design style of the site while incorporating subtle nods to the history and geography of the area. The rough edge feel reflecting it’s industrial/mining past and the contour lines to communicate its location in the hills and place as Scotland’s highest village.
We were also able to achieve a better user flow by creating avenues to specific content and guiding users to clear calls to action.
The implementation of a new content management system ensures the staff at the museum can easily update things such as events, news, visitor information, text and images.
- Easy to update news section
- Improved navigation for a better customer experience
- Support section for driving donations to the museum
- Integrated shop to boost sales of merchandise
- Extensive education section
- Clear calls to action drive ticket sales and tours